Date of Manufacture: 1948
Previous Owners: Don White, Watson Printing, Portland, Oregon; Bill Spurling, Yamhill Linotype Museum
Restoration Status: Operational
Designed to cast a “line-of-type,” the Linotype was the first commercially successful automated typesetting machine. The machines were originally designed around the needs of the newspaper industry, and installations of the machines began in 1885. Many printing job shops found the machines useful as well. For both types of businesses, the benefits of the machine were similar: printers could quickly set new type for any job and they didn’t have to distribute the used type back to the type case.
Our Model 31 Linotype is, as Linotypes go, a fairly simple machine. It is a non-mixing machine (it can’t mix matrices from two magazines) that does not have an automated quadder. This machine was purchased new by Don White of Watson Printing Company in Portland, who used it in his job shop for 50 years. It was acquired, then donated to the C.C. Stern Type Foundry, by Bill Spurling of Yamhill, Oregon.